Hemorrhoids are a condition where the pillow-like cluster of veins under the mucus membranes lining your anus and the lowest part of your rectum swell up and protrude, causing irritation, pain, and that dreaded itch.
Hemorrhoids are uncomfortable and can be a little scary but they are very common and can be easy to treat. About 1 in 20 Americans have some sort of hemorrhoid issue, and that number jumps up to almost 50 percent after the age of 50. Most Hemorrhoid problems can be resolved with at-home or over-the-counter treatments such as a higher fiber diet, regular hot soaks, or witches’ hazel wipes and preparation H.
However, if you are experiencing one of these 5 issues with your Hemorrhoids, it might be time to speak with your physician and receive treatment:
– If you see any signs of rectal bleeding in your stool or as you wipe
– If OTC products leave you with side effects like dry skin or a rash around your anus
– If your stool has a reddish or bronzish tint to it, another sign of bleeding
– If your symptoms persist after trying at home or OTC treatments after one week
– If your Hemmoroid pain and discomfort is affecting your lifestyle and ability to go through your day
Going to see a doctor about your Hemorrhoids can be stressful and embarrassing, but you are not alone. More than 1.1 million people visited their doctor in regards to Hemmmorids in 2010 alone, and the vast majority are able to leave relieved and treated.
If you are suffering from any of the symptoms listed above, or you have any questions or concerns about your Hemorrhoids, it might be time to contact your physician today