By Surgery Group Los Angeles
What Is the Thyroid Gland?
The thyroid gland is a butterfly or Bow-tie-shaped gland located in the middle of the neck just below the Adam’s apple, situated around the trachea or windpipe. Usually, one cannot feel the thyroid unless there is some pathology associated with it. Interestingly, the thyroid gland is one of the most vital glands of the human body.
What Is The Function Of Thyroid Gland?
The thyroid gland produces three thyroid hormones:
- Tri-ido-thyronine (T3)
- Thyroxine (T4)
- Growth of body
- Protein Synthesis
- Metabolic rate
- Calcium Regulation
What Can Go Wrong With Thyroid Gland?
- Abnormal function. (over or under performing)
- The size of the gland may change or enlarge due to multiple pathologies.
- Cysts and or nodules
- Goiter- (Diffusely enlarged thyroid)
- Congenital abnormalities
- Malignancies (cancer)
- All of the above may require surgical removal depending upon the extent and type of disease.
Thyroid Surgery Process:
Preparation for the surgery includes the establishment of the diagnosis by history, examination, and detailed investigations. The surgery is mostly performed under general anesthesia and requires an incision in the middle of the neck to explore the gland. The size of the incision depends on the extent of the gland removal and expertise of the surgeon. After surgery, there is often a hospital stay of one night. It’s becoming more common though, that many patients are actually able to go home the same day.
Complications of Thyroid Surgery
Several important anatomic structures need preservation during the surgery. The damage to these can result in many problems;
- Recurrent Laryngeal Nerve– A small nerve running near the thyroid gland supplies the vocal cords. Injury to the nerve results in the hoarseness of the voice which usually is temporary and hoarseness resolves between several days to up to 6 months.
- Parathyroid Glands– These glands, of which there are four, are present at the back to the thyroid gland at different locations. These are usually preserved in thyroid surgery, but if injured, results in abnormal calcium regulation in the body.
- Blood Vessels – Like any other surgery, there is a chance of bleeding in this surgery. The tiny vessel makes it even more difficult. An expert surgeon can easily bypass this complication through different surgical techniques.
Factors for Selection of The Right Surgeon
Thyroid surgery is a common but tricky surgery. Smaller access with multiple important anatomic structures within the neck make this procedure even more challenging. A surgeon who has performed many thyroid surgeries finds no problem in this procedure. Therefore, this procedure requires the highest level of surgical training with years of experience to perform a successful thyroid operation.
The Best Surgeons for Thyroid Surgery- Surgery Group Los Angeles
Dr. Jason Cohen of the Surgery Group of Los Angeles has performed hundreds of thyroid surgery and is a world-renowned surgical specialist in thyroid-related procedures. with high knowledge and vast expertise in thyroid surgeries, he has proven to be one of the top surgeons in the country. If the surgery can be avoided, this becomes our prime choice. This exactly matches our mission statement.
Please, schedule an appointment with us for the evaluation and recommendations for you or your loved one’s condition so you can make an informed decision.