No one wants to talk about what goes on inside the bathroom, but the truth is hemorrhoids are one of the most common bowel ailments that affect people in this country. According to the National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive Kidney diseases (NIDDK), more than 1 in 20 people in the US have hemorrhoids. That number jumps to 1 in 2 once you’re past 50.
Hemorrhoids can form internally inside the anal canal and rectum, or externally on the anal verge. Either way these swollen veins can cause massive discomfort and bleeding. Here are some easy ways to treat hemorrhoidal pain that goes beyond just water and fiber.
- Consider a squat stool – Popularized by the viral item Squatty potty, these items have actually been proven to work! By squatting you allow your anus to relax allowing for easier stool evacuation. A study done by TIME magazine showed that out of 1000 people who used a squat stool, 91% strained less.
- Yoga – While exercise in general has been shown to be effective in easing hemorrhoid pain, experts at a Hemorrhoid clinic found yoga, and other abdominal exercise to be the most effective. Consider this Malasana pose as a start.
- Sitz Bath – Sitz bath are a great therapy achieved by sitting in warm, shallow water, often done with salt. This works by reducing spasm and itching caused by hemorrhoids.
- Go as soon as you feel it – Often times the pain and irritation from hemorrhoids can be so frustrating, people delay their bowel movements all together. This can cause the stool to dry up, leading to more pain, bleeding and irritation
- Over the counter creams – While you should always consult your doctor before a treatment, doctors at the mayo clinic found creams with Witch Hazel are safe and cheap way to numb and soothe your anus.
A person’s life should not be spent going from one bad bowel movement to another. If none of these solutions provide relief in a week or so, speak to our colorectal physician specialists.
SURGERY GROUP LOS ANGELES:
THE CENTER OF CHOICE FOR PROFESSIONAL TREATMENT OF HEMORRHOIDS
Surgery Group Los Angeles is an experienced medical group constituting of highly skilled board-certified colorectal surgeons. Our team concentrates in hemorrhoid management. Conservative management and avoidance of surgery is the desired treatment.
Please, refer to our website and mission statement for further information. You may schedule an appointment with us for the evaluation and recommendations for you or your loved one’s condition so you can make an informed decision.